Pros and Cons of Orthodontics
Orthodontic treatment is an important investment in your oral health and appearance. If you’re considering straightening your teeth, you may wonder which option is best for you – Invisalign or traditional braces. Both treatments have their pros and cons, and the best choice depends on your individual needs and preferences.
Below, we go over the key differentiators between Invisalign and traditional braces and the pros and cons of each type.
Invisalign is a clear aligner system that uses a series of custom-made trays to shift teeth into their proper positions gradually. Here are the pros and cons of Invisalign:
- Appearance: Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible, making them popular among adults who don’t want to wear noticeable braces.
- Comfort: The aligners are made of smooth plastic that won’t irritate your gums or cheeks.
- Convenience: Invisalign aligners are removable, so you can eat and drink whatever you want and brush and floss your teeth as usual.
- Shorter treatment time: In some cases, Invisalign treatment can be completed more quickly than traditional braces. But that is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Compliance: Invisalign aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours per day to be effective. So, if you have trouble remembering to wear them or are prone to losing things, traditional braces may be a better option.
- Limited effectiveness: Invisalign is not suitable for all orthodontic issues, particularly more severe cases.
- Cost: Invisalign can be more expensive than traditional braces, although this varies depending on your case’s complexity and location.
Traditional braces use brackets and wires to move teeth into their proper positions gradually. These are cemented directly onto the teeth and cannot be removed throughout the teeth straightening process.
Here are the pros and cons of traditional braces:
- Effectiveness: Traditional braces correct a more comprehensive range of orthodontic issues and challenges, including severe or unique cases.
- Compliance: With traditional braces, you don’t have to worry about remembering to wear them or accidentally losing them.
- Cost: Traditional braces are generally less expensive than Invisalign, but the price range is close to Invisalign.
- Appearance: Traditional braces are noticeable, which can be a concern for adults who are self-conscious about their appearance since traditional braces are often associated with children.
- Discomfort: The brackets and wires can cause discomfort and irritation, particularly in the early stages of treatment, but that is on a case-by-case basis.
- Diet restrictions: With traditional braces, you need to avoid certain foods like popcorn and sticky candies that can damage or dislodge the brackets and wires.
- Oral hygiene: Braces can make it more challenging to clean your teeth, and you’ll need to take extra care to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
Which is best for you?
At our practice, we are committed to providing personalized treatment plans that meet each patient’s unique needs. So whether you choose Invisalign or traditional braces, you can rest assured that you’ll receive the highest level of care and attention from our team. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!